25 January 2007

the empty room.

Moving is exhausting. And I don't think I am very good at it. Instead of putting everything neatly into boxes, I tend to try and utilize what I have. A rolling suitcase becomes a portable bookshelf. My laundry bag, a linen closet. Then there is the sock basket that overflows with the random things that had no other place: an alarm clock, a half empty bottle of shampoo, a blue case of waxed dental floss and a pink polka-dotted sock (whose pair I have seen, but am not sure where.)

The only thing that I really like about moving is the accomplished feeling that usually follows. When I woke up this morning my dorm room was full of lots of things. Tall things, heavy things, things to be thrown away and things to be wrapped delicately in newspaper and placed into a sturdy box. But as I left, it was an empty shell waiting for its next tenant.

I like the optimism of an empty room. It has the potential to become anything. Perhaps it is my affinity for Home and Garden Television that draws me to appreciate such a clean slate. But I think it might also have something to do with my desire to start anew every so often. If you continue to read my blog, you will find that I am awfully fond of symbols. I see them practically everywhere thanks to a lifetime of quality English teachers.

For me, the empty room and my life are kind of similar right now. They are both getting ready to be refilled with new things. They are both awaiting new life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Olivia! Hope you are already unpacked and settled by now in your new flat or room! I sure miss be able to take a daytrip to London. I do not miss the weather though as you will no doubt experience soon! I'll be checking back with you soon...hoping you'll post some pics. CS @ Smittys

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how accomplished and complete it must feel to finally move into your own house. When school is over and you've got those 30 years of mortage payments to look forward to. But to know that you really don't have to move anymore, that your stuff has finally found its resting place, I think will be the happy ending to all those other exciting moves throughout college.
~Flamingo!

Mandy's granny said...

You are truly a talented writer! Love the symbolism that gives added depth to your keen observations. I'm looking forward to reading all the journals from Mandy and her buddies. Have a blast, gals.

Mandy's granny