06 December 2007

editor meets sunrise.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night in a panic. As the newly appointed editor-in-chief for The Pendulum I have spent the past week making plans for the paper ... developing my vision. I want a better Web site, a more dedicated staff, a better set of reporters, a better sense of ownership among all, to add eight pages to our print product, daily online updates, to start incorporating video and audio elements, to cover more local, state and national news, intramural sports, movie times, editorial cartooning.

Whew!

But for some reason around 5 a.m. last night I stirred in my sleep. What if all my ideas and dreams for what the paper can be don't work out? What if my selected staff members aren't as enthusiastic and dedicated as I am? What if I spend my entire year as editor disappointing myself and others?

I stayed awake, staring at my ceiling until my alarm went off around 7:30.

At that point I gave up entirely on falling back asleep and began my morning routine of e-mail checking and teeth brushing. (In that order usually. I quite obviously put communication before my own hygienic care.) Clicking through my favorite news Web sites gave me an update on all the latest from our gaggle of presidential hopefuls. As I skimmed through Mitt Romney's speech about religion I realized that my situation could always be worse. I could be a newly appointed president.

If I'm stressed about letting people down as a newspaper editor, I can't fathom the weight of the world on our president. Clearly, all these people must be clinically insane.

2 comments:

Ashley Barnas said...

I can say with 110% (percent if we're using AP Style) confidence that you achieved every single one of your goals and more...and you still have an entire semester left. Clearly you had nothing to worry about and I love every minute of working for and with you. So I'd say you're in amazing shape and will continue to blow people out of the water. I only wish that I could be there in your water in the fall rather than across the water.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.