11 February 2007

chasing childhood.

Isn't it tragic how we spend most of our childhoods pretending to be adults? Armed with cute faces and innocent eyes, we have almost anything at our disposal. Instead we spend our free time envying the big kids and "playing house." As far as we are concerned being a grown-up is about being cool, driving a car and staying up past nine o'clock.

As a kid, I was really excited about getting a job and I knew I wanted to be a librarian. Why I was attracted to the field is beyond me, but I knew it was my calling. I set up a library in my room, organized the books by title and invented a make-shift dewey decimal system. Calling my parents up the stairs, I insisted they check a book out, but warned about what would happen should they be late to return it. Oh my.

Now that I have finally reached adulthood, I have figured what it is really all about -- bills, work and responsibility. I am suing Barbie and The Game of Life for false advertisement. How did they convince me that being an adult was so much fun?

I am griping about adulthood because we visited Hyde Park today. Hiding in a sea of lush green fields we found the Peter Pan Playground. A pirate ship was the center of attention, complete with hanging ropes and even a plank. Fun looking obstacles surrounded the ship and a shreded tire bedding buffered any falls. Since we were grown-ups without children, we weren't even allowed into the playground. Harsh.

We were able to take a step back in time with a visit to the Peter Pan statue. Naturally we all took turns posing. Also, a trip to Hamley's (London's answer to F.A.O. Schwarz) provided a little waunder down memory lane. I put together a slideshow so you can follow my nostalgic few days.

Try not to tear up... being an adult has its perks too. For example...you can go on all the rides at Disney World?

7 comments:

val said...

Great blog - - but I couldn't get the "childhood" slideshow to play. Anything special I need to do??
Thanks, val

Olivia Hubert-Allen said...

Hmm... It seems to be working on my computer. I would recommend trying a different computer. Or you could go directly to You Tube and type in "Chasing Childhood in London" in the search box and it should come up there. Let me know if one of these works!

Anonymous said...

olivia, you're adorable!

Anonymous said...

Olivia,
I miss you and have so enjoyed reading about your London adventures.
The slideshow played fine for me.
I even found out the other day that there is sound to go with it!!!
Moxie and company

Unknown said...

Hi Olivia! This is Mandy's Aunt Lori. It sure is fun reading your blog and seeing the pictures. Makes us feel like we're able to share a little of your time there. Keep up the good work. Happy Valentine's Day! Have fun!
Lori

Olivia Hubert-Allen said...

Lori,

I am hapyp to hear that you have been reading. So far we all have been having a ball, and I'm so glad that I can bring a little piece of that to you! Hope you are well!

Olivia

Anonymous said...

i want brie.