05 February 2007

london alone.

Being alone in a big city is supposed to be a scary thing. As little girls we are told stories of monsters and beasts, when really they should warn us of rapists and thieves. Today was my day to venture into the city on my own accord. Armed with a London map, guidebook, tube pass and cell phone I made my debut as "alone in the city."

I began my venture with a trip to the Press Office of the Liberal Democrats. Starting on Wednesday I will be interning there twice a week. In an effort to ensure I do not get lost on the first day, I took a dry run to help establish my route. As I walked out of the Westminster tube station, I was instantly dwarfed by the overwhelming "Big Ben." I cannot think of a more magnificent symbol to see every morning on my way to work. It's like a little reminder: "You're in London. Do something!" Just a minutes walk from Parliament I stumbled across the office. It's set on the corner of a cozy side street. Not much traffic -- which is great, as I am still getting used to the whole "look right" concept.

Next I wound my way over to Westminster Abbey. In an attempt to cheat the system, I decided not to pay the entrance fee and instead return for a free service one evening. I did show my support by buying a postcard from the gift shop though! I am collecting postcards from nearly everywhere I visit and will be writing journal entries on the back. Hopefully by the end I should have a couple dozen postcards that should serve as a really nice, meaningful souvenir.

For the fun of it, I hopped on a random city bus and vowed to jump of wherever something looked interesting. Carpe Diem at its finest? I think so. I sat next to an elderly man on his way to see his daughter, Michelle. We had a stimulating conversation about the advantages of coming from a society where Peanut Butter is a regular part of the diet. Score one America.

A short ride later, I ended up in Trafalgar Square and explored The National Gallery. For a couple pounds donation I rented an audio guide. I was completely impressed and overwhelmed with the history and stories behind each piece of artwork. It will take the entire time I am here to make my way through the museum, and I am excited to have only just begun.

After all my adventures I met some friends at the premier of "Music & Lyrics" at the Odeon. From 40 feet I spotted a very handsome Hugh Grant and blushing Drew Barrymore. Quite a contrast from the art museum, I know, but since it was a first for me, it was a big deal nonetheless.

Returning home with feet that burned from walking and a head that throbbed with exhaustion, I felt triumphant. A day that I thought would be boring and drab turned into one of the best I have had yet. Solitary travel is something that I would have once feared, but am now growing quite keen on. It makes good time for reflection which would have otherwise been filled with conversations. I will be secretly hoping for more lonely days to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice reflection, I remember the National Gallery and the "stock" pictures of so many key figures in British History.
Yeah, we always worshipped at tourist Church's, cause afterwards they let you wander around and usually a "Local" would show you around anyway (which was much more fun)
SO now you have to trade your peanut butter for some good ol Marmite (yuck).
I am quite "keen" on your posts!

Love ya,

"Fathah"

Abi said...

word, some of my buddies from UNC were at that premier of "music and lyrics"

rock on about the national gallery.. much jealousy coming from the artist here!

JD said...

I'm jealous your days are so much more exciting than mine! I wish I could travel more. Enjoy!