04 March 2007

you spin me.

There is something that I need to get off of my chest. It is about time that I confess my new love. It is a love that has burned before, but never so strongly. Housed in morning newspapers, broadcast packages and behind the computer screen, it fuels the day. If you know me, you probably have already seen my affection, but now I am officially declaring it. I love political news.

Having spent the weekend in Harrogate at the Spring Conference for the Liberal Democrats, I find myself somewhat inspired. My weekend was consumed with scurrying around the conference center at 5 a.m. to deliver press clippings to important people. Other than that I helped out around our make-shift office, editing press releases and compiling lists of journalists. I also managed to sit in on a few speeches, from which I learned an extra ordinate amount about the party. I am starting to believe more and more that I might be a Liberal Democrat somewhere inside. Yeah, I've been drinking the Kool-Aid.

Aside from work, I did a lot of observing. Just watching how those around me carefully construct press releases or organize a speaker for the nightly news is vastly interesting. In the end, I have planned to be on the receiving end of all of these messages, so it is valuable to see how the spin works from the inside.

However, the longer that I am here the more that I have been thinking about my own career goals. Working spin has a certain thrill to it that was unexpected. Though I have always stood by the valency and nobility of being a journalist, there is an appeal to the darker, dirtier side of working PR. 'It's the truth -- but on my terms' type stuff. I think that political PR has an appeal because of the importance of the repercussions of the message. PR engages the devious, critical thinking, somewhat conniving and incredibly passionate parts of my personality... and it feels so good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK--great! But over here we have Barak and Hillary shadowing each other in Selma---both marching in different parades---but with the same people! LOL The Anglican Church (about to go to hell in a handbasket) is issuing statments from Lambeth (you are at ground zero for Church politics as well). ANd Nigeria is about to criminalize homsexual acts, activities, gatherings and unions with 5 year prison sentences! So I hope that SOME of this gets on the Liberal Democrats radar screen. The Executive Council of the Episcopal Church HAS been adding clout and money behind the Millenium Development Goals---a good thing and what we SHOULD be doing! OK--its my passion too....

Love ya

DAD

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Olivia
I fear it is time for you to go home. Are you learning the very worst of England, and not picking up the values for which we were once famous. Integrity, fair play, honesty??
Not that the LD's are any worse than any of the other parties - in fact I would vote for them if they were ever able to field a half way decent candidate, but meantime I struggle on with the 'Greens' and hope they will be able to keep our world from total meltdown, or annihilation by garbage.
Don't let the dishonest and devious be the reason for you wonderful enthusiasm - what was that quote, something about 'get thee behind me Satan'?
Love you too
(saw your Dads)
Dickie