22 July 2008

how to make cupcakes.

In anticipation for one of my co-workers birthday's, I decided to bake some cupcakes as a gesture of friendship, and to show off my awesome baking skills. After a few minutes in the cake mix aisle at Mr. Z's, I settled on "Golden Vanilla" cake with "Original Chocolate" Icing. You can't really go wrong right?

Well, all was going well until I got home and found that the kitchen in which I'm living has few of the necessary cupcake baking supplies. And so, a how to guide for you.

HOW TO BAKE CUPCAKES IN AN UNDER-EQUIPPED KITCHEN.

STEP 1. Get creative and find a container large enough to hold your batter. A Coffee pot. A sauce pan. A metal flour container. Or even a pitcher ... these are all legitimate options.





Step 2. I know you might be used to an electric mixer, but you're roughing it, so you're going to have to suck it up without it. Grab a spoon and stir like you've never stirred before. And get rid of those clumps now, nobody wants a lumpy cake.


Step 3. Quality control. Take a little taste and make sure everything has come out right. Remember that wine tasting course you took. Consider the texture, the sweetness, where the cake hits your tongue. You might want to rake air over the cake to allow its natural flavors to be released. And whatever you do, do not swallow. That's just tacky.


Step 4. Now is the part where your container selection plays a vital role. Pitcher & Coffee Pot > Sauce pan & Flour container. If your container has a handle, get to pouring. If it doesn't, you made some bad choices along the way -- wash that spoon to get rid of your germs and start ladling.

Oh, and in case you were wondering. Your kitchen definitely does not have cupcake pans. Make sure you buy some aluminum ones at the store. You get 15 cents off if you choose ones decorated with an American Flag.


Step 5. Bake. But watch your cupcakes constantly. You set the temperature to 350, but you never really know how hot this oven is. It's burned your popadums before.






Now stop reading, and start baking!

3 comments:

Kaitlin Ugolik said...

i love you, haha. how do i link your blog to mine??

Olivia Hubert-Allen said...

It is under the settings tab on Blogspot. Play around with it a bit and I'm sure you'll figure it out. If not, call me!

Anonymous said...

I finally found you again! My daughter is gone and I miss her.
Your writing is fun to read.
I have missed you this summer too.