23 July 2008

storm sleep.

I was awoken last night around 4 a.m. to bolts of lighting crossing the sky and the crack and growl of thunder so loud I could feel it. Looking out my window, over the valley below was the darkest of nights that I've seen here so far. Yet, when the lightning flashed, the entire valley was illuminated in neon white. It almost had a heavenly glow.

I closed my windows. I put on a pair of socks. Tucking myself into bed I thought of how lovely it is to be able to sleep while such chaos unravels beyond my window. In the earth's most violent moments, I enjoyed the most peaceful of mine. And yet, when the sun came up today, long after the storm had passed, my violence returns and our turbulent lives march on.

3 comments:

Ashley Barnas said...

Oh, my goodness. I love this. Teach me. =)

Bethany said...

love the new look OHA! and your post on cupcakes cracked me up!

<3

Olivia Hubert-Allen said...

b,

Nothing provides comical relief like some quality time in the kitch. But this of course, you already knew. ;)